Pair of Silver Arowana

wui39

If they are still quite small it is a possibility.

Arowana law states that you can NOT keep 2 arowana of any kind, this law has been broken by many aquarist. At the end of the day it is all trial and error, you wont know till you try? but generally speaking no it isn't a good idea mixing just two, but it can be done.

Jardini tend to be far for aggressive then their south american counter parts, I'd say you have almost 0 chance of mixing a single Jar and a single Silver, may have more luck with a small group of each.

hph - 2' and 6 years old? Seems your fish were a little on the stunted side. I grew out a group of 10 not too long ago, all reached 18" within 6months. 6x2 is a mere grow out for these guys.

Alex

Jardini tend to be far for aggressive then their south american counter parts, I'd say you have almost 0 chance of mixing a single Jar and a single Silver, may have more luck with a small group of each.

hph - 2' and 6 years old? Seems your fish were a little on the stunted side. I grew out a group of 10 not too long ago, all reached 18" within 6months. 6x2 is a mere grow out for these guys.

Alex

It was closer to about 80cm. What size tanks did they eventually went to when yours grew ?

I had mine in a 8x3, the system they were connected to had 20% changed every 3 days. The silvers were pumped full of food - squid, pawn, chopped fish meats, pellets etc.

I am well aware that he meant 2 feet and not 2 inches. Silvers max out at around 45". Saw ome huge ones at the baltimore aquarium when I visited the US aswell as seeing untold amounts of 3'ers in Singapore.

From 5" - 15-18" in 6ish months is not unheard of. These are huge growing fish, with a huge appetite to match. Problem is alot of people don't keep their arowana correctly. eg - too small a tank, not enough current, not eough water changed etc etc.

hph - their is a big difference in size from 60cm to 80cm. A 6x2 is obviously only 60cm wide, my general rule when keeping arowana the tank should be atleast as wide as the fish is long, or even wider if possible. A 6x2 is not a large tank when talking silver arowana!

Here are some pics of silvers I have kept at different stages -

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

A few of them did a few of them didn't. Over the years I'd say about 70% of my silvers developed drop eye at some stage usually at ~15". Nothing you can do about it. Except put them in a pond, which was not possible.

Here are some cute lil fellas -

user posted image

Alex, nice pics!

DO you find that the silvers prefer a tank with substrate? or bare bottom?

i plan to keep them in my 6x2x2 but bare bottom, so its easier to maintain. what do you think?

also have you had any experiences with the "pingpong ball" thing? where they will always look at it and not develop DE?

I have kept them in both bare bottom and with substrate. Hard o say which they 'prefer', but bare bottom is obviously alot easier to maintain.

The ping pong ball theory in my opinion and experience is a load of crap. It simply doesn't work. Drop eye is more to do with genetics rather then environment.

Alex

Archived