Steatocranus casuarius (Lionheads)

Ged

Yesterday I (school) became the proud owner of some Steatocranus casuarius (Lionheads) courtesy of Baz. He gave me some background to the keeping them and what works for him but I am interested to hear other forum members experiences keeping them. I am interested in tank size, water parameters, aeration level, diet etc.

Thanks

Ged

Edit - spellling

When working at an aquarium shop we sold a lot of these guys. They prefer slightly acidic water conditions (like Pelvicachromis sp). A 3ft tank or even 2ft tank would suffice for a single pair. They don't like a diet too high in protein, we had fish come back with bloat on a few occasions. Thats about all I can help you with, i hope i've confirmed any info Baz has given you.

i have kept these fish i personally found they were best kept on their own becuase they become very protective of their young and will bully any other fish in the tank as they see them as a threat to their young, the smallest tank i kept the pair in was a 2x18x18.

cheers

Sarah

ps good luck with them a fav fish of mine

My pair are in a 2x12x12 and they are doing fine. They get very agro when breeding though, and I find that is the best time to remove the previous spawn to a grow-out tank, otherwise they will be killed.

Water-wise, they are doing well in Malawi-type water.

They have proven easy to keep and breed, and are fascinating to watch as they dart about from rock to rock thumb.gif

I echo BaZ's post...malawi conditions, a shell/pot for spawning and just some corner sponges for filters. I didn't add extra air/power heads....first time they bred the water was pH = 8.6 and kH = 8 (they were still in quarantine). My tinantis bred in the same tank within a few weeks of the lionheads. This tank was 4' x 14" x 18"and both groups used medium sized "turban" shells to spawn.

Andrea smile.gif

Hi Ged,

I have seen them kept in with Tanganyikans and they were thriving, breeding like flies.

The water was like liquid concrete, it was that hard and alkaline.

I believe they like a bit extra aeration and water movement.

Just a minor point I know but the correct spelling of the species is casuarius. smile.gif

Cheers,

John.

PS Any sign of that DVD you and your students were putting together for us. wink2.gif

Thanks everyone for the information and the correction on the spelling. blush.gif

I took it from the NSWCS website species list dntknw.gif

John I had forgotten about the DVD but I will chase up the teacher that was doing editing with her class.

Hi all

I am keeping them in Malawi African hardness and ph. I don't know however how to sex them I have 2 bigger ones ( around 7-8cm) and one tiny (in comparsion) (about 4-5cm). They don't seam to have grown much at all since I bought them at the Wollongong auction on impulse (what a change rolleyes.gif ). I assume the larger ones are males as they are forming little bumps on their heads. Other than that they are keeping a 2x18x18 cycled and are likely to be moved on if something does not happen soon dry.gif .

cheers

rosco

I have a pair of these fish. They are great fish and I am sure you will be happy with their unique look and way of getting around. They are very easy to breed but can become big sooks when they get picked on by other fish. They look mean but they are really whimps at heart who like to retreat back into their cave after they have stirred up some trouble.

I keep them in water with a pH of around 7.8.

I used to have a pair who bred regularly. Mine loved to dig and would build caves that always have two exits. I believe they are from river systems rather than lakes so enjoy a bit of current in the tank although not required. They don't have well developed swim bladders so normally stay along the bottom half of the tank. Mine didn't eat all that much so were a lot smaller than other's I've seen. I guess they need the food to sink down to their level before your other fish get it!

Off topic: Does anyone have any spare males as mine died a while ago (apparently from starvation as he just never seemed to eat much)? Prefer close to Wahroonga... Please PM.

All the best Ged, they are great fish with cool looks and personalities.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived