Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

Mick....i think every tropheus fanatic out there are persistently on the hunt for ilangi as stunning as those taken by Ad Konings himself. I think we need to ask Ad Konings himself to clarify if this pic is actually how they really look like or whether the pic has been processed in some way.

Aline...i was led to believe that the Ilangi from Jim's stock which is pretty much all the ilangi in NSW, was from Nkamba bay and that these are in fact the ones sold as Ilangi yellow? Maybe Jim can clarify this issue?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aline if you past eth elink into the adress bar it pops up, either that or search ilangi on the cichlid companion website.

Dave i have seen a few pics of fish like this. it could just be from a colony of fish that lives around the next corner the way that lake is, lol apparently Nkamba bay is notorious for crocs so maybe the colecters stay out of th ebay itself, who knows

but as you can tell from th ereds to yellows there is avery slight variation and progression from solid red to solid yellow as you come down the west coast, even my Kachese have a bit of a yellow sheen up their sides but not a dominant colouration, then again i have seen fish called Kachese that almost look like you kasumbas! blink.gif

Either way i love the little buggers, thats just the pic that got me hooked on Tropheus! wub.gif

Hmmm hopefully will have another colony of Tropheus in a few weeks, if all goes well, lol, Lime spots.....

Mick....i think you could be right...we just have to be happy with the Ts we have since there are many different variations of the same variant sold around the world.

I have noticed the Kachese yellow look amazingly like the golden kazumbas...maybe they are essentially the same thing and that importers thought up this new name to try to sell more fish?

What Ts are u going to get? The linangu yellow or mbita? Where are u getting them from?

i think u are well and truly hooked onto tropheus mate!! Good to see another fellow fanatic! wink2.gifthumbup.gif

Mick...checked out the link...didn't look like the limespot i was thinking of:

user posted image

They in fact look more like a brichardi of some sort:

user posted image

Anyway, let us know when u finally get your hands on these beauties. And post some pics!!!

Ps..where in Asia were they imported from?

They look nice, the second one looks a bit photoshopped to me. I don't think there would be that much interest in brichardi if they were more available, sorry that's obvious isn't it blush.gif . What I mean is that in my opinion they are nothing compared to some of the stunning variants we already have. I do love the look of the veiltails some of them possess however. Hey, wait a minute, I remember seeing one at an aquarium in Parramatta and thought it was awesome. See, I want them now. I think I'm going nuts, maybe gone woot.gif .

I definately have a talent being able to type in this straight jacket I have on cool.gif .

Jamie zipit.gif .

Jamie...u are getting me very confused....i thought u were going to make a controversial comment about brichardis....i was waiting for the backlash of comments against you (esp. from Josh!!!! LOL.gif ) but it seems u have changed your mind in the one sentence.

I think a few people i know are interested in importing some WC brichardis and i was sort of thinking of getting some myself but didn't know if it is the right choice. I was worried i wouldn't be able to offload the fry.

By the way, which LFS in Parramatta did u see this? U can pm me the answer.

Yeah, I can be a bit lukewarm about brichardis sometimes. However, I then have to think about the one I saw in the flesh at that aquarium. The little guy was very impressive. He was on his own in a display tank, I sat in front of that tank for ages smile.gif.

Jamie.

Jon, you can't go wrong with Ilangi, just beautiful, and at $10 a pop, they are practically being given away  woot.gif !

Jon...u can't go wrong with ilangi, that is why they consistently fetch such high prices across the world. $10 each in Oz is such a bargain!!!!

There seems to be an echo in here laugh.gif

I've got word that the replacement cabinet and hood will be available for pickup tomorrow. With any luck I'll have water in over the weekend - YAY!

Jamie....i do think your need help....have u tried talking to Aline...she can help u cope with your addiction!!!!  LOL.gif

Yes I can definately help - twelve step program and all smile.gif buy one T variant, then the next and the next and so on until you have twelve woot.gifwoot.gif Works for me - I am up to step nine and really calm and happy thumbup.gif

Jamie and Dave it is time to get together with any other T lovers we can rope in thumb.gif

Cheers

Aline

Aline, that would be unreal mate. Let me know what you want me to do smile.gif .

Nigel, a girl in the states has these, she's got 30 odd wild caughts. She loves 'em and says she has had no aggression problems so far.

Jon, good news mate thumb.gif .

Jamie.

Dave they are still young, only 2 are starting to get the defined spotsmudge.

you of all people should know that most tropheus are not born in the adult colouration, and most juvies have stripes....

....why do you think there are sooo many duboisi in the world.

As I said in your other thread, your tank looks absolutely awesome thumb.gif . The colours and the neatness of the whole setup is top notch. I am very impressed and very jealous bigsmile.gif .

Jamie.

As for the cycling, you should get your hands on some gunk from a canister from one of us T keepers. The cycling process would be very quick indeed then wink2.gif .

Thanks Jamie. Unfortunately the white balance the camera used doesn't do the rock work any justice, I'll be playing around with the camera to try and get something that reflects the true colours more.

Due to the trip to Canada in about 6 weeks I'm in no rush to cycle the tank and get some inhabitants. I'll wait until we get back and then make a visit to one of our friendly breeders then thumbup.gif

Amazing tank and aquascape Jon!!!!!

All the hard work has paid off!

I must say those 2 work piles really blend into the background beautifully! How many ilangi are u planning on getting? I don't think u will have any trouble with aggression if u get some juveniles and plenty of them - at least 20!

Is it a problem with the WB or are u using actinic lights? It does look a bit blue!

Will u be using a fishless cycle? I remember i bought some hybrid mbunas for a $1 each to cycle my tank and then returned them to the LFS.

Keep the pics coming!

Dave

Ps...have u thought about Mpulungu? Hint hint Jamie!!!! wink2.gif

Here are some pics of a friend of mines Tropheus Moliro. They are in fact Waruna's moliros which he has had for almost 7 months. They are kept in a 4 by 2 by 2. I know for a fact that he feeds them exclusively NLS Thera A pellets and they are doing so well, he has a female holding already!!!!

I am sure Waruna will add his comments.

Here goes....download warning!!!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Makes me miss my moliro colony so much!!! cryblow.gif

Enjoy!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I've had a lot of good advice along the way to help me out wink2.gif

The plan is to let things run with fishless cycling for the next few weeks and then look at getting some sort of scavenger in (bristle nose of plec) and leave things be until we get back from the trip. Then I'll track down 20 - 25 Ilangi juneniles and lob them in.

I'm very excited now that the tank is up and running, it's amazing how enjoyable it is to sit and watch the tank even when there are no inhabitants!

Is it a problem with the WB or are u using actinic lights? It does look a bit blue!

It's definately the WB, most of the lighting in the room is halogen downlights so I'm guessing the camera based it's setting on that dntknw.gif

Here's a shot that better shows the colours, there's not enough light with the single 4' flouro to light the front of the tank properly:

user posted image

(it's still not 100% but I've got to learn how to weild the camera a little better, there are also a lot og bubbles on the background which is causing a little bit of a blow out in the top right)

Ps...have u thought about Mpulungu? Hint hint Jamie!!!! wink2.gif

You shouldn't be tempting me with another option, I've only just settled on the Ilangi! The Mpulungu are nice looking, they remind me a little of Bemba (which is what got my Tropheus ball rolling). I think I'll stick with my Ilangi choice at the moment.

Archived