fry saver

hilal

i've made a couple of fry savers but i have two female electric yellows that keep on jumping out of them.i've made them out of ice cream containers and would like to know if i can keep the lids on them so they dont jump out.ive siliconed fly screen so theirs good water circulation going through them.

also can i keep more then one female is a very large fry saver or will they fight.

thanks for the help in advance.

regards omar

I use the little so called terra aquariums that are multi purpose use for fish, reptiles etc. They are plastic all the way around and have a clip on lid that has grill throughout it. Also it is idea for raising fry because fly screen can be clamped down under the lid to stop fry swimming out and it still maintaiins good circulation.

thanks youngy

Use more styro on the sides smile.gif

The more buoyant they are the higher they will sit in the water.

My fry savers (the better ones in my pile anyway) sit hard up against the tank lids. The tank lids prevent jumping and also hold the saver in position. There's something quite frustrating about trying to feed fry who keep floating around to the back corner of the tank yes.gif

if you can put the lid back on hilal put it on it wont do any harm.

thanks for the replys and advice thumbup.gif they are real helpful.

one more quick question i have 4 of my female electric yellows are holding and all i know is one should spit her fry anyday now and one has been holding for only acouple of days.i have caught all of them and put each one in a fry saver but would like to know if its o.k to keep the one thats only been holding for acouple of days in a fry saver till she spits(3 or so weeks from now).the only reason i ask is because i dont know when each female started holding and cant tell the difference between them confused.gif .

thanks guys/gals for the help.

Omar

hilal,i usually catch them and carefully lookin their mouths.if theres too much eggsack of the fry i let them go till next week.

different fry mature at different rates.for electric yellows,three weeks for their fry to swim well enough to swim freely of mum.

I wouldn't put more than one female into these containers. They will still be aggressive towards each other, and with the small size of these containers, one fish is bound to be the loser, along with her young.

Archived