Melanochromis johannii or interuptus

Hi all,

Just a quick question my male johannii ( well thats what they were labeled at my LFS) has recently started to change colour. I am now beginning to think that I may have actually bought Melanochromis interruptus.

Which species do I actually have? (sorry for the bad quality pics, but I was in rush)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Thanks

Roo.

M. interruptus for sure.

M. johanni has parallel bars, that are unbroken. The bars are broken in your pic., hence the name interruptus/checker board johanni. I haven't seen the "electric blue" johanni (M. johanni) for years.

Andrea smile.gif

These fish are also know as checherboard johanni. Most stores these days drop the checkerboard off and call them johanni.

It is definitely in the common name that these two fish get confused, some how along the lines they have both been labeled as simply 'checker board cichlids'. I honestly don't think that there are many pure johannii out there at all if any. Majority of the fish labeled as checkerboard we have in Aus IMO are interruptus. The differences are as mentioned that interruptus is darker and has vertical bars and also horizontal bars (thus they call them checkerboards) and the interruptus also grows smaller than the johannii, a similar size to the demasoni i think.

I agree, trofics fish looks like an interruptus to me with those prominent vertical bars. From my understanding and observation of pictures around the internet, johannii can have 'some' barring but this barring is not as easy to distinguish.

Anthony

They are (as other suggest) M. interruptus.

Melanochromis johanni is a different fish wink.gif, Kev, what's the reasoning behind your comment's that it is defunct?

interruptus and maingano are both part of the johanni complex. There would be some pure f1 johanni stock getting around at the moment because some were bought in last year that were wildcaughts at breeding size.

hth

Archived