Catching fish

Hi guys,

As all my fish a breeding at the moment it is becoming quite a task taking everything out of the tank to catch fish each time they require milking.

I was wondering what everyones method is of catching fish and if they have any "tricks" to making the job easier.

Thanks

Dave

if you're breeding specifically, setup species tanks with easily removable decor & use the two big nets method. If it's a display tank just let them spit IMO

I agree with Ducksta and Ash that two nets make the job a lot easier. My breeding tanks have as Ash suggested easy to remove decor but I also include Ag pipe that is suspended in the corners of the tanks. I tend to find that my brooding females use these to hide from the unwanted attention of the male/s in the tank. It makes it an easier proposition to catch the female once she is in one of these and move her to the fry saver.

I use two nets. One HUGE one and a smaller one. I set a trap with the big net and then what I do is gently coax the holding female to swim to the big net and voila! Straight into it!!

I do have rocks and decor in my tank, and I have to some times move the rocks around and uproot my fake plants, but minimal stress to the fish and to the holding female. May take some time. Patience my friend and you are there.

LOL.gif I came up with something last night, I got sick of rearranging my tank every time I had to catch one for one reason or another, so last night I had to remove my Moori as he has been gettin a bit agro lately chompin my "O"s fins grrr.png I have been using the 2 nets but with the rock work in there etc its a real pain, and its a 6x2x2 so if I miss him up one end I gotta go down the other end.

Anyway my lids are actually one full piece so I'm able to use them as dividers, last night I didnt tell the fish what I was doin and calmly slipped the divider in the one end and trapped them all in there, effectivly reducing the tank size down to about a foot long clap.gif with that it was so much better than my previous escapades and very quick and easy putting a lot less stress on the fish and myself smile.gif

I was thinking of using some sort of divider, but then toufic mentioned his method, so I'm thinking if i can somehow get a net that is as wide as my tank 18" i think then it will work well. Minimising the amount of rockwork i have to take out

I was thinking of using some sort of divider, but then toufic mentioned his method, so I'm thinking if i can somehow get a net that is as wide as my tank 18" i think then it will work well. Minimising the amount of rockwork i have to take out

try and catch them early in the morning , or very late at night with a torch , when they are asleep and use all your nets , it takes them a cupple of mins to wake up ..........rob yes.gif

Mine is a 6x2x2 too :D .. Catching up at night would also work. I dont get the lid idea.. Is your lid 2 foot high? Dont the fishies swim up and away from that?

I am going to stick to my method. Make take me 20 minutes or less or more, but works.

You might also want to do a water change at the time (as long as you are due for a wc), take some water out. Makes it easier.

This is probably the worst way to do it, but the other day when i had to move some of my fish around, i just got a large plastic container and they went right into it blink.gif i guess they didn't realise it was there as its see-through.

ive got a piece of clear perspex ,just steer the target fish into a corner then net out, the dark is very good, and remember " fast fish slow net-slow fish fast net" i remember talking to ben(aka the cichlid man) he puts his net in the tank every time he feeds them,gets them really used to the net so they dont panic

iv got a 4x18x18 display tank and i use two 10" nets to catch my fish. its still hard work because i don't like to remove all the rock work, but one time i left the net in the tank to have a break and when i looked back at the tank the one fish i was chasing all night swam into the net woot.gif that made it so easy

Hi mark, The only thing that concerns me about leaving a net in the tank over night to catch the fish is that they will get strangled in it and get to stressed from being caught and die.

But using 2 big nets is obviously the most common method, but I like the idea of some sort of divider to minimise the room which the fish has to swim.

Archived