2 species of fish breeding in the same tank

Meredith

Hey

I want to breed 2 colonys in the same tank and i am at a picca dilly situation as i do not know what to go for. If you could tell me some fish that will breed together happily it would be appreciated.

I want mbuna

Something with colour

Good breeders

Cheers Cameron

Guest mokum

Hi

I have had both Electric Blues and Yellows breeding in the same tank at the same time on a regular basis. This was in a 4x2x2 tank.

Both these fish are quite colourful also.

Cheers

Karl thumb.gif

i had a breeding colony of yellows and breeding colony of aulonacara stuartgranti nagara flametrails in the same tank.

i'll go for a colony of yellows and a colony of aulonacara's of your choice.

do you guys sell the fry from these tanks as i have been told that you shouldnt sell them due to cross breeding

This is only a general rule - although many species will readily cross breed, it is avoidable by housing fish which are nothing alike ie. colour (females & males) and or shape aswell as providing both males and females of each type. Good choices would be as stated above, maingano and yellows or acei and trewavassae. Bad choices would be zebra types such as M. aurora and C. afra or M. interruptus and Ps. saulosi as females from these groups look very similar.

You should also take into consideration the aggression levels in each type and only keep placid types together and aggressive types together, this will avoid hyperdominence which causes crossbreeding.

Hope this helps

Archived