Water pumps

youngy_11

hi.

What size water pump do you think is needed to run around 600l of tank including sump?

Also what brand is the best in quality and power consumption?

Thanks youngy

What size water pump do you think is needed to run around 600l of tank including sump?

I'd be aiming for a turnover of around 3000Lph, meaning you will turn the entire volume over 5 times an hour.

Remember to allow for the reduced water flow at an increased head. Most pumps will have this info on the side of the box.

Laguna thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I have 2 of these and love them!

They pump big volumes for a low power consumption, and have a nice big wheel-style impellor which seems to be quite efficient and quiet.

Laguna  thumb.gif  thumb.gif  thumb.gif

I have 2 of these and love them!

They pump big volumes for a low power consumption, and have a nice big wheel-style impellor which seems to be quite efficient and quiet.

Hi Baz,

Mind if I ask where u get the Lagunas from? What model and how much?

thumb.gif

Thanks,

DD

Mine are both the Laguna 5000.

I paid too much for the first one, then on the way home I found them at Wet & Dry at Kingswood for $320. They still had them at that price recently, and I have also seen them at Trans for about $310 I think.

hi.

Thanks youngy

For my 6x2x2, I've had great success with an Eheim 1262 pump in the sump.

3400l/h

3.6m head height

80 Watts

and best of all, it's almost silent! You can't really go wrong with an Eheim.

I find it pumps just as hard as the Pondmaster that I ran previously and that was rated at 5000L/hr.

I have a Sun Sun, 3900lph.

It runs silent and cost me $45 from AOA.

Lauee has it on some of his setups as well. I visited his shop on the weekend and he has one pumping water into 3, 4x1.5x1.5 and 1 5x1.5x1.5.

for $50 you can't go wrong!!

The $250 bucks you save can be used to pay your power bill for the pump for years!!

For my 6x2x2, I've had great success with an Eheim 1262 pump in the sump.

wat kind of plumbing do you use for this. is it possible to use the flexi tubing used on the canisters as your return plumbing.

Baz: Thanks! thumb.gif The Eheim 1262 is rated 3400lph @ 0 head. The max delivery head is 3.6m. I don't have one so I can't tell how it is.

I have PM4200, Resun King 4, Rio Hyperflow 20HF and 32 HF.

I found both PM4200 and Resun King 4 are powerful pump because both have high delivery head (4.5m?). And the power consumption is quite good (90watts?). The only problem is they're quite noisy.

I bought the Rios to replace the aboves. They're very quiet and much smaller. Also good power consumption (50 & 120watts). But they're not as powerful as the PM or King given their delivery head (3.3 & 4.3m). I didn't realise it until I tried. tongue.gif

Young11, for your application u may want to consider the Rio Hyperflow 20HF. It's rated 5400lph @ 0 head and only 50watt. But given the max delivery head of 3.3m, it looses more power as the height increase than for eg. PM4200 and Resun King 4.

You can get it from Aquatic Life Aqua (where I got mine) and good price too.

I'm looking for a new pump and considering Laguna powerjet 5000 for my application. Have considered some others like Ocean Runner.

Cheers,

DD

Eheim certainly aren't the biggest or the cheapest but IMO they are probably the highest quality submersible pump around - I have seen them go 10 years before needing the first impeller changed. I don't know if the Laguna models have been updated, we used to use a fair few of them several years ago but found they went through impellers a bit too quick. I suppose it depends on the time frame you are buying for - if you average out the cost over the lifetime of the pump sometimes the "cheap" pumps aren't that cheap. Also depends what risk you are comfortable with. Personally I like to have redundancy anyway (ie another filter / airstones at least) - especially if using one of the cheaper brands.

Its a damn shame we don't have the Eheim 1264 (4500l/h) available in Australia.

Cheers

Pacco

The 2217s are made in China (still from high quality components though) compared to the pumps being made in Germany - also all the pumps and professional filters are actually tested in the factory before being packaged up. You can't really compare a canister filter with a pump though - (unless its a 2250/2260 of course).

The reason for this is canisters are designed to pretty much run at "zero" head - that is they are pumping water to the same height as it is being returned. The flow rate and especially the pressure of the pumps beats hands down any of the classic, professional 1, 2 and 3 canister filters. It is amazing how long one of the 2260 canisters (with either a 1060 or 1260 pump) can run at 80%+ max flow rate even when the media is really blocked up with crap.

Cheers

Pacco

Young11, for your application u may want to consider the Rio Hyperflow 20HF. It's rated 5400lph @ 0 head and only 50watt. But given the max delivery head of 3.3m, it looses more power as the height increase than for eg. PM4200 and Resun King 4.

You can get it from Aquatic Life Aqua (where I got mine) and good price too.

I'm looking for a new pump and considering Laguna powerjet 5000 for my application. Have considered some others like Ocean Runner.

Cheers,

DD

OK well the good thing is that it is going to be running a rack under my house that is only 1.5 m high. So it would be perfect. $100 not too bad. Considering 50w. But On the age of aquariums there is a pump that is 3500lp/h for $45.

What do you think?

I understand the appeal with eheim, they are a good brand which rarely has problems.

I've used Pondmasters and King pumps before, and always ended up disappointed with their performance.

So the eheim 1262 does the following

Max 3400l/h

Max head 3.6m

80 Watts

Right?

Laguna Powerjet 5000 does

Max 6000l/h

Max head 4.2m

85 Watts.

The powerjet 3000 might suit your needs more

Max 4750 lph

Max Head: 2.3m

55 Watts

Around $200 to purchase I think.

I needed big pumps at at the time I don't think eheim had one in their range which would pump the volumes and heads I needed.

I am not sure what eheims sell for but I am more than happy with the peformance of the Lagunas for the money I spent thumbup.gif

OK well the good thing is that it is going to be running a rack under my house that is only 1.5 m high. So it would be perfect. $100 not too bad. Considering 50w. But On the age of aquariums there is a pump that is 3500lp/h for $45.

What do you think?

I can't really say as I don't have the other pump. It has a quite good max delivery head (4m). It consumes twice electricity but half the price. Another thing I'd consider is how the materials are. Some pumps are just made with poor quality materials. I leave it up to you. wink2.gif

Yupe Baz, Eheim no doubt is very good as I have the large grey canister made in the 80s and still going strong. What's available is just not powerfull enough for my needs.

I will read into the $45 pump from age of aquariums and see what parts it is made from, the warrantee included and the height restrictions.

Thanks for the info guys.

I have had two of those HQB3900's running in my tank and pond for the last two and a bit years. They are still quiet, and pump as good as new. I know coz I bought another one the other day woot.gif . They are quite powerful and will pump a decent volume with clogged pond filter, and/or couple of metres or more of head dntknw.gif . I think they are an excellent pump for the money, and remarkably similar to the ehiem. If you're on a budget, I would reccomend one, or their big brothers. Good thing is If it breaks AOA is sure to replace it quick. Not sure what the warranty is.

Cheers,

Jason

Here are the details of the HQB-3900 3500lph.

Max Flow: 3500L/hr

Max Head: 3.9m

Cable Length: 10m

Power Consumption & Voltage: 100W 240V

Electrical Rating: IP68

Inlet Size: 31mm

Outlet Size: 3/4" UNF Female, 19mm, 25mm

Suitable for Inline Use: NO

Dimensions (LxWxD): 175x115x115mm

Weight: 3.325kg

Shaft: Ceramic

Guarantee: 1 year excluding impeller

Country of Manufacture: China

IS the ceramic shaft any good?

And i year warrantee not too bad. thumbup.gif

Any suggestions?

I understand the appeal with eheim, they are a good brand which rarely has problems.

I've used Pondmasters and King pumps before, and always ended up disappointed with their performance.

So the eheim 1262 does the following

Max 3400l/h

Max head 3.6m

80 Watts

Right?

That's what it says on the box...

as for hose fittings, it comes with a choice of 2 sizes. one is about 20mm and the other about 32mm.

They don't come as cheap as the China made ones, but you get what you pay for in my opinion.

cheers

Andrew

IS the ceramic shaft any good?
Do you mean in general or on this model? On this pump it is a good 5-6mm in diameter. I have not broken a shaft at all, they seem a bit too big if anything. Ben has spare impellors(shaft,rubbers,the lot) for $18 in stock. One of mine ran dry for a few days dntknw.gif once, so I had to get a new impellor, as the old one was missing a few blades. It still works perfectly fine. I know Lagunas and ehiems are great. I have both, and swear by them. In fact most of my stuff is from the more expensive brands. In general you get exactly what you pay for. But there are exceptions. I've found them to be much more durable than expected. For the cost they are brilliant. Thats all I'm trying to say. Even so it would be a great backup unit if you get a more expensive unit one day.

Cheers,

Jason

Archived