Texan Help

I recently bought a 5 year old female texan. She seems to be settling in ok.

I know all about the endless cleaning etc. Have bought a new filter and getting an under gravel one also. I have bought a heater and waiting delivery, although she has never had one. My main concern is feeding her. She came with floating pellets which she doesnt seem to touch. I bought sinking pellets but am not sure if she is eating them. I have tried her on the freeze dried worm cubes ( which only resulted in me having to clean her tank ) The petshop advised live guppies .. NO ..Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to kill her.

Hi

Your female texas may just be taking a while to adjust to her new surroundings and "sulking" a bit. At that age the american cichlids have quite a personality. You don't say how long you have had her. An adult cichlid can go quite a few days without food, so I wouldn't worry too much, they will usually start eating when they are hungry enough. I see you are on the Sunshine Coast, did you know there is also a Qld Cichlid Forum with members on the Sunshine Coast also.

Cheers, Doug

Hi

Your female texas may just be taking a while to adjust to her new surroundings and "sulking" a bit. At that age the american cichlids have quite a personality. You don't say how long you have had her. An adult cichlid can go quite a few days without food, so I wouldn't worry too much, they will usually start eating when they are hungry enough. I see you are on the Sunshine Coast, did you know there is also a Qld Cichlid Forum with members on the Sunshine Coast also.

Cheers, Doug

She should be eating after 12 days. Are you sure she is not eating, she may be eating something when you are not watching. Is she visibly losing condition around the belly? Have you seen her expelling faeces? Is she active in the tank or just sitting on the bottom?

Cheers, Doug

She seems active and quite bright. I was worried because I read in a site to only feed them what they will eat in 5 mins and her last owner said when hungry she will make smacking noises on top of the water. She may be eating as I leave the food in there. I'm sorry if I keep quoting you, still trying to figure this out. I have a pic I took of her today but no clue how to pst it

Yep I'm hopeless wink2.gif

Jess

Hi Jess

To avoid quoting when replying, use the "add reply" button at the very top of the whole thread instead of the button in the last post. If your fish has not eaten for 12 days, she would be starting to look a little emaciated as she loses condition. If she is active and alert and appears to be in good condition, she is probably eating when you are not looking. Adult american cichlids are quite intelligent and have great personalities, and like interacting with their owners. She may just be missing her previous owner and taking a little while to get used to you.

Cheers, Doug

Thank you both so much for your help, I at least feel better now.

Doug I tried to register at the qld forum you gave me but it said I needed permission.

I'm not sure if this will work but if it does could you tell me if she looks healthy to you. I know absolutely nothing about cichlids

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/d4rkn3ss/Zariah2.jpg

The photo is quite fuzzy around the belly area, but she does look to me to be slightly hollow.

What might have changed in the transition?

Give us all the info you know from the sellers setup, and all the info from yours.

Tank size, pH, any tankmates?, was the fishes belly flat bottomed or cancave when you picked it up?

Was the tank cycled when you put her in? Is there any outward signs of stress? No red around the gills?

When you clean the tank, are you aging/treating the water.

One possibility from my experience: Large American cichlids are VERY intelligent (as has been said) they also form bonds with owners and tankmates (like dogs and parrots) and will sulk (to their own eventual demise) when changes are made that they don't like.

I have had fish that would pile all the gravel in one corner, when I levelled it to clean the tank, the fish would sulk for a couple of days, and then start piling it up again LOL.gif

I have also had fish which sulk when I took a tankmate out (they had bonded with each other, even though they weren't a spawning pair) and only returned to normal when they were both in the same tank.

I once had an oscar for 2 years, that even after 8 months of not seeing me, recognised me when I entered his room, that fish had accepted its new owner but hid from everybody else that came in the room. I hand fed it straight away smile.gif

A 5 yr old intelligent animal would have a very strong bond with its previous owner. I imagine to it, you seem somewhat like a kidnapper, or adopted parents? You know how a child would react in that situation - bit of a tantrum and whatnot.

hmm ok

I actually saw her when I was at a garage sale and admired her, the owner asked if I wanted to buy her as she was moving. At that time she was in a pretty dirty half full tank. I brought her home and had her in a small tank while I cleaned hers.

I set her hide up the same as it was and put her in the formal lounge room so as not stress her too much. She spent the first few days hiding if anyone went near.

Then bacame more curious and interested so I would go and sit near her and talk to her. As she seemed to enjoy the contact, when I cleaned out her tank yesterday I moved her to a busier part of the house. She seems quite alert and interested in what is going on.

Her tank is 70 ltrs, 3 ft long. I am planning on getting a larger tank. Dont shoot me but I didnt know about PH etc but I use tank water. I really cant remember if her tummy is different from when i bought her.

Thank you for your help, I have visited numerous sites that all seem to contradict each other when it comes to water, food etc. She also does the pile gravel in the corner. No tank mates, she has never had them.

I can't think of anything else if you do please ask.

Jess

OMG! cryblow.gif The tank's a bit too small even if the previous owner had it full! So she was stressed before you got her for sure considering your description! sad.gif

Well, being female and alone a 3' is probably not too bad, at least you're looking after her better hey - a 4' would be nice (preferable, incase it's actually a stunted male)

How can diff site's contradict on the needs of a Texas? They are from Mexico (aussie "Texas" is actually H carpinte, not the "true Texas" H cyanoguttatum, close cousin)

Regardless, they get to approx 6-8" female or 10-12" male - like just above neutral water PH7-8 and moderate hardness - but throw that all out the window as they'll live fine in anything vaguely right so long as the perameter's don't swing around. I mean if you have malawi type PH/hardness cause of buffered substrate, don't worry about it too much - americans are adaptable.

With the food, I use hikari cichlid gold (floating) and AOA bits (like Tetra colour bits, sinking) as staple & treat with bits or prawn, zuchini or brine shrimp.

Great fish to keep thumb.gif

Thanks for all the advice

The heater arrived today, I thought as she has never had one I might set it to the lower end of the range so it isnt too big a change.

I'm pretty sure she is a female she doesnt have the big head lump like the males I have seen.

I am going to buy those foods and thought maybe some weed?

Thank you all, this is a really friendly helpful forum.

I will keep you posted of her progress.

Jess

OMG you didn't try? A person I knew tried the towel over birdcage thing - it DOES kill the bird! sad.gif

It also has vary negative effects of cats & dogs too, please don't anyone consider trying this! shock.gif

No I didnt. I can say however, you should not keep fish in a share house with idiots. It makes me spit my rage when people talk of doing this to animals. It has the same effect on fish as it does birds. I totally agree with you ash. I know it was only a joke here though. raisehand.gif

Sorry folks, back to happy thoughts now. hug.gif

Cheers,

Jason

Yes it was only a joke. No I would never do that.

But I have put in the heater and another filter and some fish tank weed which she is enjoying shredding. She is looking happier every day and is actually eating a little. Also seems happy to see me :D

Hi Jess

Glad to hear she is settling in now and starting to eat and interact with you. A 5 year old fish doesn't need to eat as much or as often as a younger fish which is still growing. Won't be long now and she will have you wrapped around her fins. thumbup.gif

Cheers, Doug

Archived