Johanni Terror

brendon

My johanni trio ,

I really don't no what they are , there is a dominant male , but the other too get attacked by him ? , and the smallest out of them always hides...

And the other one is always getting attacked by the male , is this true dominece telling me they are all males , or just a terror of a fish ? i have hiding spots , caves and pots , but they don't use them , any one no what i should do ?

LIL DRAGON

it's pretty easy to sex em dude....

male black with deep blue striping.... female yellow with black stripe on dorsal fin....

unfortunately, not having bred them, i don't know at what age they colour up... blush.gif

i have a male in a tank with fish 2 to 5 times as big as him and he was still managing to cause havoc... (beats me the books say they are relatively peaceful... like &^%*)

i put him in with a breeding pair of blackbelts though (male over 10") and that definately changed his whole outlook on bullying... he's now quite the peaceful fish... LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

HTH

hey mate,

at the moment I got johanni fry growing up. They are at 2-3cms and have not yet properly coloured up. You can tell the males from teh females by the dark tinage and slight blackage, which will turn blue in them.

PM me with your email if you want some pics. I can take some.

i put him in with a breeding pair of blackbelts though (male over 10") and that definately changed his whole outlook on bullying... he's now quite the peaceful fish...  :lol3:  :lol3:  :lol3:

HTH

You're evil!! shock.gif

I like it! LOL.gif

You should get more females. Assuming that you have 1 male and 2 females then that just isn't a very good ratio. I would get another two females if I were you otherwise you you might find a female johanni floating at the top of the tank one morning.

BTW there are two types of johanni. Before you get the extra females, make you you know which type you have. yes.gif

thumbup.gif

Mate i've bred these in the past and they colour up from 6cm+. I found them to be very agresive also and when they are spawning the male will attack anything that comes near their teritory. My jo's formed a pair and the male killed off the other females so when she died i had a lonely male. they do claim a large teritory for a small fish and they/he will defend it well. Cheers Couchy>> thumb.gif

Archived