Cutting Terracotta Pots

Ged

</DIV><H1>Cutting Terracotta Pots</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: cobalt craig</STRONG><BR><BR>good evening all

<br>

what is the best way and neatest way cutting

<br>

terra cotta pots ?

<br>

thanks

<br>

craig

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Tile cutter (powered)

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: chorrylan</STRONG><BR><BR>I use an angle grinder (ermmm and usually with a metal-cutting blade 'cos I'd have to actually find a masonry one and put in it)

<br>

<br>

Don't know if it's particulary neat or cheap (using the correct blad would probably be more efficient) but it works and it's neat enough for me... but then I only know how to use two tools and the hammer definately won't work

<br>

<br>

<br>

Laurie

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Rumpig</STRONG><BR><BR>Gidday,

<br>

I have actually had great success making holes in terracotta flower pots with a hammer and chisel but if you don't have patients DON'T TRY IT!! LOL

<br>

<br>

I usually use a hacksaw for my pots, cuts a nice, smooth entrence, only problem is you usually use a blade per pot or there abouts (that's the problem when you use the wrong blades

).

<br>

<br>

And always sand the edges down, just in case.

<br>

<br>

Mick

<P><STRONG>Author: Bilby Junior</STRONG><BR><BR>l used a carbon rod in my hack saw, multi directional

<br>

avilable at all hardware stores, oh and soak it for two days prior makes it easier.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: burundi 6 bar</STRONG><BR><BR>to put holes in a pot i use a die grinder with a grind stone.to cut[ what is there to cut first].but if you need too a masonary disc on a angle grinder would be best.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Other Ed</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi,

<br>

Hacksaws work great. I had soaked the pot for a few days first. The cut edges will require filing or sanding.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Dave</STRONG><BR><BR>i use needle nose pliers and start at the hole and work my way out breaking a bit at a time - ends need to be filed - i then silicon an open one to an unopened one - works pretty well - easier to catch fish when they are in their as well

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Rumpig</STRONG><BR><BR>Dave, how well do those caves work!

<br>

<br>

I've got one with my Pelvicachromis and they love it, I wrapped it in java moss so now it just looks like a bit ball of the stuff, you can't see the sides of the pot any more.

<br>

<br>

As for soaking, I've never bothered and never had any trouble, I reckon it just makes it harder if you're cutting them with a hacksaw.

<br>

<br>

Mick

Archived