Cutting glass

Fins

<H1>Quick lesson in cutting glass.</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: ducksta</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey guys im a bit rusty on this. Its been about 7 years since I last cut glass and at the time i was just learning with a glazier at my side.

<br>

<br>

Who can give me some comprehensive instructions online?

<br>

<br>

ps. This is will look good in the forum FAQ later...

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: aquaclear</STRONG><BR><BR>..number one, and probably most important is to ensure you angle the cutter slightly and use one fluid motion with firm pressure...takes practice! PS don't skimp on cheap tools, get a good cutter, and if you hear crackling sounds your pressure is too firm.....HTH good luck

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: airfish</STRONG><BR><BR>If you have a bit of time to spare come down home and i will give you a quick lesson.

<br>

<br>

Nigel

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: o BaZ o</STRONG><BR><BR>

<DIV id=quote>Quote:This is will look good in the forum FAQ later...</DIV><BR><BR>

<br>

@ Ducky

<br>

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Anita ozfish</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey John,

<br>

If you get to the next meeting in November, one of the instruction tables will be on cutting glass and making tanks

<p>

<br>

electral@bigpond.com

|

web

|

Sydney, Australia.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: ducksta</STRONG><BR><BR>Hmmmm... I already remembered how to cut glass, been doing it all day...

I had a brain wave after I posted

<br>

<br>

Still, I was hoping someone would be able to word it better than me. (so I could put it in the FAQ

)

<br>

<br>

Actually, any experienced glass cutters know any tricks to taking off small portions of the glass? I need to take 2cm off a large sheet of glass, and I know this is usually difficult, so I'm hesitating in actually doing it.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>and tap from the bottom not the top

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: airfish</STRONG><BR><BR>To cut a 2cm strip of glass you need a good oil cutter and a pair of glass pliers then it is no problem.

<br>

<br>

Nigel

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: ducksta</STRONG><BR><BR>I think Id be better off buying a piece of glass that doesnt need to be cut and keeping this one for a rainy day

</DIV>

Archived