Nice Peppermint Picture

gianniz

Is it Girl Girl?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How old are the fish pictured?? I have had 'females' take more that two years to show their bristles snd proove to be males.

Bristles are not the only sex dimorphism displayed by ansistrus, is just the most obvious in adult fish.

Length and robustness of the first pectoral ray is a good indication in young fish, as is the head shape and size of pelvic fins.

Definately one male in that couple, the other is a bit "iffy"

Alan

In pic "boy or girl 2", the one on the left looks definitely a boy.

But what has me stumped is that I can't seem to locate that particular boy in the other two pics.

do both of them like to sit in the ceramic logs like that? With the Peppermints I keep, I have found that my males like caves whereas my females generally hang out under pieces of driftwood.

cheers

Andrew

Sorry to deviate from the topic at hand, but is that a H. zebra peeking out from under the log in "boy or girl 2"? If so, I didnt think we could get them in Oz.

Any way on another note, Alan, could you please elaborate on

Length and robustness of the first pectoral ray is a good indication in young fish, as is the head shape and size of pelvic fins.

I have had four for the past 2ish years and after much studying I still have trouble relably sexing them (I hope I have a pair in there somewhere).

cheers, Worm

Archived