Which Size Filter

grungefreek

Hi Guys,

i am in a bind on which filter to get. I have 2 options both resun HOB filters, one runs at 570 lph and the other 340 lph. Both have adjustable output so can be set with less flow than that stated above, dont know minimums tho.

Ok so the problem is that i dont know exactly what size tank it is going to go on. At the moment i have a 17L tank that houses a single male betta, so which ever filter i buy must be able to go on this tank, but not be too strong for the betta. But i might also be upgrading my tank to a 2ft tank, so the filter would also have to be able to be used on this tank. So i dont know which to go.

I thought the 340lph would be ok in the small tank and not create too much current for the betta, but wouldnt be big enough to be used on the 2ft tank (which is larger in width and height over the standard one). Then the 570lph filter i thought would be way to strong for the small tank and betta but would be good for the larger tank.

Its kind of a rush decision cause the filters are only on special for this month ;) .

Ok well thoughts and opinions welcome. Hopefully this is in the right place, couldnt decide to put it here or in betta's. If i get no responses, Mods feel free to move.

Thanx Grungie

For a 17 litre tank, I would personally go for a small air powered bio sponge filter.

The HF2002 570 litre filter would be way to powerful for a 17 litre tank, they are best suited to 2ft and 3ft tanks, however having said this, they can be adjusted so that there is very little flow much less than a aquaclear.

Cheers,

Bit.

Ok so the problem is that i dont know exactly what size tank it is going to go on. At the moment i have a 17L tank that houses a single male betta, so which ever filter i buy must be able to go on this tank, but not be too strong for the betta. But i might also be upgrading my tank to a 2ft tank, so the filter would also have to be able to be used on this tank. So i dont know which to go.

If you intend getting a bigger tank soon, and you must buy now, go with the larger; I don't know if I'd put it into a 17L though, even with restricted flow. Also be aware that the stated flow rate is the best case flow rate when there is no media restrictions; with media, the flow rate drops quite a bit, then there is the tube length etc. There is nothing worse than having a filter that isn't powerful enough.

Well, as i expected, one filter will just not work on both tanks ;) . I guess i will have to decide on which tank i am going to use and then buy the correct filter. The 17L already has an air powered corner filter, but i want a planted tank so the air wont do the plants much good.

Oh well thanx for the help guys

Grungie

Archived