My Male Pseudotropheus saulosi

rick

Hi guys,

I was asked to post this pic in another forum so I thought I may as well stick it up here too. I have been trying to take some decent pictures of him for a while now, but most of them just don't capture his true glory. This one is close, but you really have to see him in the flesh. I think a lot of it is the attitude he has when he is just cruising around the tank cool.gif

user posted image

Rick

Edit: Shouldn't have copied the name from another post dry.gif

Hey Rick, Nice shot, I know what you mean about the photos not being able to show all their glory! How old is he? Does his colour change much from what it is in that pic? Also, is he dominant in the tank and what is he housed with?

My male Saulosi and orange top greshakei fight over dominance a bit, its fun to watch.. And lastly, in that shot, did you take it and crop it in on the fish or did you take it that close?

Stunning fish you have there and a very nice shot, look forward to seeing alot more soon ! clap.gif

Hey Rick, Nice shot, I know what you mean about the photos not being able to show all their glory! How old is he? Does his colour change much from what it is in that pic? Also, is he dominant in the tank and what is he housed with?

My male Saulosi and orange top greshakei fight over dominance a bit, its fun to watch.. And lastly, in that shot, did you take it and crop it in on the fish or did you take it that close?

Stunning fish you have there and a very nice shot, look forward to seeing alot more soon ! clap.gif

I purchased him from a local breeder in Feburary last year when he was around 3 months old so he is nearing the 2 year mark. He is the dominant male in the tank and there is currently one other male saulosi, 2 female saulosi and 6 juvenile Melanochromis cyaneorabdhos "Maingano". Prior to getting the Maingano I had another 2 male saulosi and about a dozen juvenile saulosi. My tank is 36"x15"x18" and now that the other two males are gone everyone is getting along rather well. I am hoping that the 6 Mainganos will fit in when they have grown up a bit, but I suspect I may have to remove a couple if I end up with too many males. Even though the saulosi and Maingano are similar colours, they don't appear to be too concerned with each other.

The image above is cropped down from 3072x2048 to about 1100x800 and then resized to 600x450. With the lens I currently have (EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM II) that is about as big as I can get. The shot was taken from about 60cm at 105mm and the minimum focal distance on the lens is 50mm. I am hoping to get a macro extension that I can use to reduce the focal distance, but I am not sure if it will improve my pictures too much. One of the problems I am having is trying to balance image size with Depth of Field. Currently I am getting a DoF around 1cm which isn't too bad for the predominatly side on shots, but when I am taking shots from an angle or head on, the tail is often very out of focus. One of the things about DoF is that if the image size is increased, either by getting closer or using a longer lens, the DoF will decrease. So, if I do fill the frame with the fish, I will reduce my DoF to a point where most of the body is out of focus.

Rick

Archived