Fish shots with flash

Lepperfish

Those pics look great thumb.gif

How do you think they compare with you other pics without the flash? From the few fish shots that I have seen you post so far, I think these ones are much sharper and clearer. Some fo the other shots had a little motion blur in them and these definitely don't.

What sort of fish is the light blue/green one in the upper centre of the first pic?

Rick

Yeah I think the photos are sharper, It was much easier to get clearer pics using the flash..

See in the pics how there is always a shadow at the bottom of the pics..

How could I get rid of that? With a seperate light? Or prob an external flash would be better huh ?

The fish you are referring to is a juvie cobalt blue.. smile.gif

That shadow lookslike it is due to the lens getting in the way of the flash. An external flash should fix that problem. Some other source of external light will reduce the shadow, however, it will still be there. The other option is to make sure the fish is in the upper part of the frame and crop the bottom of the image.

Rick

user posted image

user posted image

Heres a couple I cropped out the bottom of the image.. Still Id rather Have the whole image to work with rather then having to crop something out..

Looks like the dark part in the bottom is shadow from the lens. The best way to remove it would be to have a slave flash that fires when the camera flash fires and have it pointing towards where the shadow is being cast. For the further away shots, if you experiment you should be able to eliminate or reduce the heavy shadow cast on the background by the fish. This is what they sometimes do when taking passport photos - have a flash behind the subject pointing to the wall so when the flash fires it lights behind the subject and removes any shadow cast by the camera flash.

Takes a lot of experimenting...

One word of advice is when you're trying to compose the shot and your camera fires a shot to test exposure, don't have the slave pointing at your face... woot.gif

Alex

Hey Lepperfish,

Are you telling me all the great photos that took you came from the Sony F707??

WoW!!!

I am using the Sony F717 and check out my quality shots tongue.gif

Man what a big difference! laugh.gifLOL.gif

Check out my pics

Can pls provide some settings of your camera prior to using the Macro shots?

Thanks

wildcaught

Yep, all those shots were taken with the 707 tongue.gif

How do you mean prior to using the macro shots? wink.gif

Hey, The fish shots were taken with macro, using mostly auto functions such as zoom and iso..

The other shots were taken according to the conditions..

Some were auto and some were manual...

The pics of your tank that you linked me to seemed all yellow..

Were you using auto or manual settings on your camera?

btw the 707 and 717 are pretty much the same..

Archived